Bible Pay

Read 497 times

• Lazarus

• December 06, 2017, 08:09:53 am
    more
Suggestion: Less Religious Imagery
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:41:25 am »
I love the idea of BiblePay. The program works well. The coin design looks fantastic too. But I really think we should tone down the religious imagery, like on the forum header. There should be a clear separation between the church and any business, and despite this being a charitable crypto that pays a "tithe" of sorts, it is ultimately a financial entity. Jesus whipped the money changers in the temple--lets not be like those money changers, abusing the name and reputation of God to make money. There is also an idolatrous aspect to it all. The idea of a "BiblePay" is fantastic but lets keep it focused on the text itself, not imagery.

• Rob A.
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
Re: Suggestion: Less Religious Imagery
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:32:46 pm »
I love the idea of BiblePay. The program works well. The coin design looks fantastic too. But I really think we should tone down the religious imagery, like on the forum header. There should be a clear separation between the church and any business, and despite this being a charitable crypto that pays a "tithe" of sorts, it is ultimately a financial entity. Jesus whipped the money changers in the temple--lets not be like those money changers, abusing the name and reputation of God to make money. There is also an idolatrous aspect to it all. The idea of a "BiblePay" is fantastic but lets keep it focused on the text itself, not imagery.

Hmmm, its an interesting perspective but it sounds a little double minded to me.

First you say Jesus whipped the money changers - because they were abusing the name and reputation of God.  (While actually I argue they set up shop there not to abuse God but because they could take advantage of a convenient meeting place with no rent, with no regard to doing it in a holy place, because they were not holy people).  Either way the sin here is Making his Fathers Holy Temple a Marketplace, meaning that they were conducting unholy business in a holy place.  They had no regard for his holy consecrated sanctified temple. 

So lets stop there, even if we had an image of Jesus on every coin and post, and pretend it said I am the way the truth and the life, Choose HIM-- how would we be entering into a holy place and defiling it?  What does text have to do with it?  Isnt the bible always Holy?  I argue the holiness of the Bible is more Holy than an image on the forum painted by a man that has never seen the beginning of the tribulation.  So if we are going to argue this lets get down to the facts: we have the KJV bible compiled in the wallet.  Its not here to lure people in to conduct unholy business.

If we did not tithe 10% of the blockchain, I would say we need to close up shop.  We would not be doing anything in Jesus name in that case.

We are doing net positive good works here.  Its the same as the sabbath argument.  Jesus healed on the sabbath and broke the Rabbis laws one because he has the right to end the law, but two because it was a Net good for the time he was on earth.

I continue to argue that we are not idolatrous.  If we were I believe I would be prompted by the Holy Spirit to shut down.

All of the money entering in to the tithes is 100% at risk by the investors.  Its not a house to make people a profit- its a house to be a blessing.

There is no guarantee at all that an investor will not lose with BiblePay. 

Im not sure why you want the image removed, but it makes me feel you are ashamed of Christianity.

In my opinion, the fact that we have the guts to place more Jesus imagery around means we are not ashamed of Christ.

He said he will deny us if we deny him.

Im very sensitive to this issue as I want to ensure we are doing his will.

• Lazarus

• December 06, 2017, 08:09:53 am
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:07:31 pm »
Hmmm, its an interesting perspective but it sounds a little double minded to me.
First you say Jesus whipped the money changers - because they were abusing the name and reputation of God.  (While actually I argue they set up shop there not to abuse God but because they could take advantage of a convenient meeting place with no rent, with no regard to doing it in a holy place, because they were not holy people).  Either way the sin here is Making his Fathers Holy Temple a Marketplace, meaning that they were conducting unholy business in a holy place.  They had no regard for his holy consecrated sanctified temple. 
So lets stop there, even if we had an image of Jesus on every coin and post, and pretend it said I am the way the truth and the life, Choose HIM-- how would we be entering into a holy place and defiling it?  What does text have to do with it?  Isnt the bible always Holy?  I argue the holiness of the Bible is more Holy than an image on the forum painted by a man that has never seen the beginning of the tribulation.  So if we are going to argue this lets get down to the facts: we have the KJV bible compiled in the wallet.  Its not here to lure people in to conduct unholy business.
If we did not tithe 10% of the blockchain, I would say we need to close up shop.  We would not be doing anything in Jesus name in that case.
We are doing net positive good works here.  Its the same as the sabbath argument.  Jesus healed on the sabbath and broke the Rabbis laws one because he has the right to end the law, but two because it was a Net good for the time he was on earth.
I continue to argue that we are not idolatrous.  If we were I believe I would be prompted by the Holy Spirit to shut down.
All of the money entering in to the tithes is 100% at risk by the investors.  Its not a house to make people a profit- its a house to be a blessing.
There is no guarantee at all that an investor will not lose with BiblePay. 
Im not sure why you want the image removed, but it makes me feel you are ashamed of Christianity.
In my opinion, the fact that we have the guts to place more Jesus imagery around means we are not ashamed of Christ.
He said he will deny us if we deny him.
Im very sensitive to this issue as I want to ensure we are doing his will.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to talk with me. This is definitely an important issue. Human institutions such as these can always be a double edged sword--where there is the potential to do much good, there is also the potential to do harm.  That's why we should tread carefully.

You make a good point about the money changers in the temple; it was a very rough analogy because BiblePay is not pretending to be nor is operating within a church. So in that sense you are 100% correct. In fact BiblePay has the potential to be a medium of exchange for churches and charities to work more efficiently, which would be fantastic. The point I was trying to make is that we should be especially considerate about appearances because its a big responsibility. When you start using a lot of religious imagery it starts to look, at least on the surface, more like a religious institution.

Spreading the word of God is always good. One of my favorite things about the core client is that it features a KJV Bible. You could put a Bible verse on every nook and cranny of the website and that would it quite alright. Imagery, in my opinion, is another story. We can see throughout the Bible that God is angry whenever people commit idolatry. In the strictest sense, an idol is defined a "graven image" or a carved image--obviously anything on the internet is not. It seems that paintings and pictures are generally okay. BUT, given what I said in the first paragraph (about how we need to be careful), I think that when we start using very religious pictures then we start to walk a fine line and to balance on a tight rope that we don't want to fall off of.

That's my main point. If you decide to keep the imagery then I will respectfully disagree but I will keep using Biblepay. This has tremendous potential and if God decides that it can be useful to him then it will definitely prosper. If anybody else wants to weigh in on this that would be great too.

1 John 5:21

• Rob A.
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:52:48 am »
Thanks for having patience with me and explaining your perspective in more detail.

I wanted to add something that I forgot to mention yesterday about the imagery:
(Although, I think I came across rough around the edges and I apologize for that).
  Yesterday I had the sense that you might have wanted to "commercialize" biblepay in order to remove offensive images (for non-Christians).  You sound though you have a genuine Christian concern so that is good.

The part about "commercialization" - I wanted to stress that I dont care if the images are offensive to non Christians even if they keep the marketcap lower in this case, as I dont think we should choose to commercialize for the sake of gaining value.  Another words I would not want to sacrifice our ability to extend Gods Kingdom for a higher market cap. 

Now as far as idolatry goes, I believe it is any activity fanatically pursued and prioritized activity man places above God.    If you watch TV too much its your idol.  If you listen to music too much - its your idol.  If you skydive or play football and think about the sport more than God.    Even programming biblepay would be my idol if I didnt integrate God into the day.    Placing worldly things above him (but not really worshiping an image).  I know the commandment is though shalt not make graven images, but thats because the Golden Calfs and the things the Israelites worshiped back in the days of Kings were rooted in idolatry, Gods Holy chosen people chose to bow down to a golden calf instead of God Almighty.  I think the distinction is I believe some images extend his Kingdom  and never ever could be construed as something a man would worship, therefore the image is not idolatrous.

Im not saying that I am right or the issue is closed, I am only extending this conversation :).  I think we should definitely consider not offending Christians, but still make a statement that Jesus is working through us here to help the kids.

I welcome more input on this.