Bible Pay

Read 103 times

• way2

• November 06, 2018, 05:15:25 pm
    more
Confusion with mining calculations
« on: November 18, 2018, 06:01:54 pm »
I have some confusion on how the BBP mining is calculated and any help is appreciated.  It is my understanding that under most circumstances the calculation is UTXOWeight * TaskWeight * RAC  but several discussions on the boards are focused on hash rate.  The RAC comes from allocating resources to BOINC, but to increase the hash rate, you have to allocate more threads to the Biblepay Core.  Which improves mining rate, allocating to BOINC or Biblepay Core?

The second question is about TaskWeight.  I can't seem to find anything on TaskWeight, how does it work and where does it come from?

• thesnat21
  • Administrator

• March 28, 2018, 06:37:05 pm
    more
Re: Confusion with mining calculations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 09:15:20 am »
Hashrate is only a concern if you are doing old fashion POW work. (POBH is what we call it)

You have to have 1 machine hashing on the network to issue your PODC udpates,  other than that you can dedicate all your efforts to BOINC.

It's my understanding that we currently are not using task weight,  I will check into why.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:26:59 am »
Hello all,

So someone asked what DR mode we are in - please type 'exec datalist spork 199' to see we are in DR mode 1 currently.

That is because the spork is older than the default threshhold.

Anyhow,  Yes we started with taskweight, and the idea behind it was to make it very rigorous and hard to BOINC mine (as I guess we had the flawed perception that millions of boinc miners would join, but they didnt).  Anyway, that would have given the hard-working PODC miners who had perseverance to stay onboard with controller wallets running even more rewards, and would give PODC more overall trust.  However, what happened was we ran out of tasks one day in Rosetta, and I was forced to add WCG under duress - (and note that I do love WCG), anyway now we have both Rosetta + WCG.  The issue is we cant query WCG's taskweight, so we stayed in DR mode 1.  Since DR 1 does not check task weight.  So basically, for all intents and purposes BiblePay does not require task weight currently, so we removed the column from the pool.

• way2

more
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 05:59:28 pm »
Thank you both a lot, that really helps.  It is really cool that the research being done saw a period where they didn't need more resources!  That is a great way to change the lives of many people! 

One thing isn't clicking yet.  In DR 1, the formula is: TaskWeight * RAC, so it is the UTXOWeight that was removed from DR 0.  I understand that to mean the staking requirement was removed, not the TaskWeight.  With what you said about the WCG, wouldn't this mean the WCG miners aren't getting full credit and the people below 20 BBP per RAC aren't having reduced productivity.  Am I understanding this correctly?  If so, wouldn't we want to be in DR 2?

• thesnat21
  • Administrator

more
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:34:10 pm »
Thank you both a lot, that really helps.  It is really cool that the research being done saw a period where they didn't need more resources!  That is a great way to change the lives of many people! 

One thing isn't clicking yet.  In DR 1, the formula is: TaskWeight * RAC, so it is the UTXOWeight that was removed from DR 0.  I understand that to mean the staking requirement was removed, not the TaskWeight.  With what you said about the WCG, wouldn't this mean the WCG miners aren't getting full credit and the people below 20 BBP per RAC aren't having reduced productivity.  Am I understanding this correctly?  If so, wouldn't we want to be in DR 2?

task weight is ignored, this has nothing to do with staking requirements.

• way2

more
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:05:45 am »
Thank you for your reply.  The math still isn't making sense yet, here is what I am looking at: http://wiki.biblepay.org/Distributed_Computing#Proof-of-Distributed-Computing
THe table titled: Biblepay Operational Mode Chart (Disaster Recovery Modes)
It says the DR 1 calculation is: TaskWeight * RAC
and DR 0 is: UTXOWeight * TaskWeight * RAC

My point is the only difference between these calculations is the UTXOWeight is removed in DR 1.  WIth what Rob said, we should not be using DR 1 because it has TaskWeight. 

When I look at my numbers, I get a close proxy for what I am getting paid by doing the calculation RAC * Magnitude * UTXOWeight, but this isn't on the table referenced earlier unless Magnitude = TaskWeight.  If that is true, then the calculation being used is actually DR 0 even if DR 1 is set. 

• thesnat21
  • Administrator

more
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 05:23:53 am »
Thanks for clarifying, I believe the WIKI needs to be updated:
From the actual code: rpcblockchain.php a bit past line 4600

// 0) Heavenly               = UTXOWeight * TaskWeight * RAC = Magnitude
   // 1) Possessed by UTXO      = UTXOWeight * RAC = Magnitude
   // 2) Possessed by Tasks     = TaskWeight * RAC = Magnitude 
   // 3) The-Law                = RAC = Magnitude
   // 4) DR (Disaster-Recovery) = Proof-Of-BibleHash Only (Heat Mining only) (Mode 1, 3, 4 are not checking tasks)

• way2

more
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 04:02:08 pm »
Awesome, thank you!!  :)