• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
[CLOSED] f7000 TestNet Testing Thread
« on: September 01, 2017, 07:56:36 am »
Welcome Bible Pay Users,

As you know we have had an exponential increase in interest and network hashing against Bible Pay since the launch, and now it is very hard to solo mine.  As a result, our Dev Team is writing a customized Bible Pay pool.

(The custom pool is necessary since we have a proprietary hash function that is resistant to ASIC and GPU mining.  In addition in the future the algorithm will be extended to raise the bar even higher, by requiring the full nodes to hash transaction lookups based on deterministic hash outputs, requiring the miners to be full nodes).

The purpose of this thread is to invite users to help test the pool from Test Net, to ensure it is ready for primetime.

We need to test things like: Hash Rate measurements, fair block payouts in the block distribution table, an accurate payment distribution at the time the block is solved, mining from many miners under one miner name to one pool, mining from multiple miners to one pool, the isolation of testnet from main net, the ability to withdraw BBP from the pool, the reliability of the pool, the reliability of the client miner, the fallback to solo mining if the pool is down, etc.  I will add more specific test cases and welcome any test cases.

Here is the location to download the latest wallet:

www.biblepay.org
Note, in order to pool mine, you will need at least v1.0.1.8 of the wallet (both daemon and qt should work fine).

How to set up the configuration for pool mining:

On windows, navigate to %appdata%\biblepaycore.  On linux, navigate to ~/.biblepaycore.

Edit the biblepay.conf file, and place the following lines in the config:

poolport=80
pool=http://pool.biblepay.org <- Note this URL is not live until approx Monday Aug 7th (Dev is deploying the pool tonight)
workerid=the_worker_id (explained below)
gen=1
genproclimit=10

After upgrading biblepay and modifying the config, biblepay wallet will automatically revert to solo mining if it cannot connect to the pool, even if the pool goes down for maintenance while you are on vacation.

Next, you will need to configure the Web site side of the pool.

In your web browser navigate to the Pool URL (see pool= above), and click Register, and create a web account.
After that, go the Main menu, then Account, and add a Miner.
(The Notes textbox may be filled in with something personal, like Rooftop linux i686 etc.)
Save the miner record.
Take the name of the miner (IE the worker ID), and edit your config file, setting it where we have "workerid=" in the above example and restart biblepay.

Next, check your mining stats as you normally would (IE check getmininginfo), you may do this by clicking Tools | Information | Console, and then type "getmininginfo".

The pool exposes a few lines of text for debugging purposes, the PoolInfoLine1 is just populated with the current Pool URL if your node is pool mining, and the Pool Miner Guid is populated in Line2.  Note this is just technical info and you do not need to know this.  This is useful if the pool goes down and you want to know if you are pool mining or not.  We have a field called "pool mining: true/false" that sums up what the miner is doing.  If any thread is successfully pool mining, the value is true, otherwise its false.

Please hold off on mining against the main chain In pool mining mode until we fully test the client.  Mining on the main chain in the pool could result in lost BBP, as the pool will sign the block and have no idea who to pay currently (until we verify the distribution system works).  NOTE: To disable the pool settings once you are done testing on that node for the day (IE if you want to mine on the main chain outside of the pool) just put an x in front of the pool= entry in your config file and restart in prod mode.  (IE xpool=pool.biblepay.org).

To start your client in testnet mode do the following:

cd c:\program files (x86)\biblepaycore
biblepay-qt -testnet
The background should be green if in testnet.  Please do all of the testing in testnet.
Note on the above biblepay.conf configuration settings:
You will need to copy the biblepay.conf settings from the biblepay.conf file down to the \testnet3\biblepay.conf file (IE just let the coin start, it will create the file, close the wallet, open the config, copy the setting rows, paste them into the target file, restart the coin).

(I realize this is convoluted, but Biblepay/Bitcoin have the settings coalesced like this for a certain reason so its easier for us to go through the double settings now rather than change the coalesce rules.)

Note that this version of the miner updates the hashmeter more slowly to squeeze out as much performance as possible, so be patient when re-running getmininginfo, as it is delayed approximately 30 seconds before a change occurs.

Alright, good luck everyone, lets make this a great pool.

As of Aug 6th at 20:00 CST US time, the pool has not yet been deployed.  I will edit this message as soon as the website is ready for you all to create accounts.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:16:58 am by admin »

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
Re: TestNet Testing Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 11:09:36 am »
Welcome to the new forum;  I see many active users starting to roll in from bitcointalk now.

I'm working on releasing the new Alpha pool now- it should be out in 2 hours.

This pool is "supposedly" an improved version of the pool that is in Beta; except, with some major improvements.

I would like to see this new alpha pool surpass our beta pool and become the standard pool for our users in prod.

It has future capabilities that are not unlocked: like the ability to attach documents and images to outgoing orphan letters, ability to read and write to the SAN, Voting, etc.

The alpha version uses a more advanced framework, that supports Ajax callbacks for a better user experience.

I plan on releasing the alpha pool to a new domain, and please we can test all the features here and find its shortcomings.
We can leave both pools live, so as to split the traffic for now.

Ultimately Id like to move the newest pool to "pool.biblepay.org" and move the current live pool to a backup (something like backup.pool.biblepay.org).

Rob

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »
I'd suggest after testing, move the current pool to pool2.biblepay.org and keep it live.  Increase the pool fee to 1.5% for all users to discourage use but still allow for it.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 02:35:48 pm »
I'd suggest after testing, move the current pool to pool2.biblepay.org and keep it live.  Increase the pool fee to 1.5% for all users to discourage use but still allow for it.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking also.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 02:38:16 pm »
Alright, the new pool is ready for testing.

Anyone who wants to point miners at it, can go ahead and hit it- it is completely separate from our live beta pool.

Here is the info:

URL:

http://pool2.biblepay.org

It shares the same database, so your existing credentials should already work, and miner records should be there.

Please test:  Account Edit, Withdrawing BBP, Mining against pool2.biblepay.org, Leaderboard, sorting, My Leaderboard,  Orphan List, Orphan Write To (Yes, please write some real letters, that would be nice), Read Letter, and anything else that is apparent.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 02:55:14 pm »
I forgot to mention: when testing the new pool, some weblist options are right click (intuitive software design).
So, for example to write a letter to an orphan you have to list the orphans, then right click the row and click Write.  Voting is implemented the same way. 

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 04:12:53 pm »
I forgot to mention: when testing the new pool, some weblist options are right click (intuitive software design).
So, for example to write a letter to an orphan you have to list the orphans, then right click the row and click Write.  Voting is implemented the same way.
One more thing: Anyone who was Mining against pool2 up to 16:11 CST, the pool was not actually accepting solutions due to a bug.
Its resolved now, and I verified my last hash was accepted , so please, just restart your setgenerates and look now for leaderboard position against pool2.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 06:21:59 am »
Westwarnsworth, I finally reproduced the crash you experienced in 1027.
I made a change, and deployed overnight.  V1028 is out there now.  Please try it.

In my case, it crashed when every thread received "Miner IP banned".  After upgrading, I got past that issue.

Also, on pool2.biblepay.org, I raised the thread limit to 200 threads, and, raised the IP ban threshhold to 10,000 hits (IE basically removing it).
If any bigdogs want to hit it now, hit it.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 06:59:46 am »
It appears we are nearing the deadline to wrap things up for f7000.  I really don't want to make any 'breaking' changes, as the supermajority is running the latest version with the upcoming f7000 features now.

Since we Need to give c-cex a good 1000 block notice, to stop trading, we need to focus on wrapping this up within one day.

Westwarnsworth could you please double check 1028 does not crash, regardless of your tests, try disabling the network adapter, etc.  Ill work on the Genesis bug you reported.

Also, everyone else try to verify the new pool is working properly with the client, the 200 threadlimit is working with the large big-dogs, and that everything in general seems good for the next release.

We need to regroup here by the end of the day and pack up this version and notify c-cex, in order to make our deadline.

• Shoko

• September 02, 2017, 03:53:17 am
    more
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 07:14:24 am »
I've been trying to log in on the new pool without success :(. I tried multiple browsers and I always get this error in the console "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) /pool.ashx". I'm not sure if anyone is having the same issue?

Also, pool2.biblepay.org has the same ipv6 address as pool.biblepay.org. I got my miners banned when trying to test the new pool as I didn't realise that I was still connecting to the old one :-[

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 07:34:13 am »
Regarding the Genesis readbibleverse bug Westwarnsworth reported:
FIXED- in the next version if you type 'run readverse gen 1 1' that works now, the slow delay-lag is fixed when loading "Read Bible" from the help menu (after clicking a chapter), and also, now you can select Genesis, and also, when you pick Genesis 1:1 for example, it will come up quickly.

This will be in the next version.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:26 am »
I've been trying to log in on the new pool without success :(. I tried multiple browsers and I always get this error in the console "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) /pool.ashx". I'm not sure if anyone is having the same issue?

Also, pool2.biblepay.org has the same ipv6 address as pool.biblepay.org. I got my miners banned when trying to test the new pool as I didn't realise that I was still connecting to the old one :-[

So, lets go in baby steps.  From the UI perspective when you log in to 'http://pool2.biblepay.org' are you able to access your account, and list the leaderboard successfully?

From the Client perspective, do you point to pool2, and, please ensure you have 1.0.2.7+ in order to avoid getting miners banned, then restart, and see if getminininginfo is clear?

• Shoko

more
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 07:43:01 am »
I actually managed to find the cause of my login issues. I have a long (25+ chars) and complex (lots of special characters) password and for some reasons it doesn't work on the new pool. I changed my password to something more simple and it started working. I tried to switch back to my original password and I was getting the error 500 again.

EDIT: I was going to post this reply just when you did.

The ipv6 addresses of pool2 and pool are actually the same (2400:cb00:2048:1::6819:fa6e). So somebody using ipv6 will have pool and pool2 point to the same address. Only the ipv4 addresses are different.

EDIT 2: Realised that the ipv4 also point to the same ip address for both pools, my bad. I thought they were different. Yes I do point my miners to pool2.biblepay.org. I had restarted the miners so they would load the new config and I'm running 1.0.2.8. I saw them showing up in the leaderboard on the old pool so I assumed it was still using that pool instead of the new one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:03:51 am by Shoko »

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 07:48:38 am »
I actually managed to find the cause of my login issues. I have a long (25+ chars) and complex (lots of special characters) password and for some reasons it doesn't work on the new pool. I changed my password to something more simple and it started working. I tried to switch back to my original password and I was getting the error 500 again.

EDIT: I was going to post this reply just when you did.

The ipv6 addresses of pool2 and pool are actually the same (2400:cb00:2048:1::6819:fa6e). So somebody using ipv6 will have pool and pool2 point to the same address. Only the ipv4 addresses are different.

Oh my, all the code is based on ipv4.  Hows it working with ipv6?  Is it OK?

• Shoko

more
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 07:54:34 am »

EDIT 2: Realised that the ipv4 also point to the same ip address for both pools, my bad. I thought they were different. Yes I do point my miners to pool2.biblepay.org. I had restarted the miners so they would load the new config and I'm running 1.0.2.8. I saw them showing up in the leaderboard on the old pool so I assumed it was still using that pool instead of the new one.

Quoting my previous edit in case you missed it, I wasn't expecting you to answer that quickly haha.

I'm actually using both ipv4 and ipv6 but I guess it's defaulting to ipv6 when available. Everything has been working fine so far =D.

I'm not sure if something changed but I've just deployed a new miner and it doesn't seem to be able to connect the seed node for the initial download? I'm wondering if it's trying to connect using ipv6 and getting denied? I will just disable it I guess and see if it works :P
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:04:00 am by Shoko »