Bible Pay

Read 1025 times

• sunk818

• April 24, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
    more
Copyright attribution - mitigate DMCA takedown
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/sumokoin/comments/7tarwi/regarding_the_dmca_takedown_on_github/

SumoKoin had an issue with not correctly attributing copyright to Monero. Their github was taken down for a few days.

We could easily remove this issue by correct attribution to various altcoins.

Is BiblePay a fork of DASH? Are there any GridCoin components that need to be attributed? There was mention of bbppool being a fork of gridcoin pool.. so I thought there might be a connection.
BH6oxjLkyz3z8FYpvU3ZR7PTZ31Xt9DkXZ

Re: Copyright attribution - mitigate DMCA takedown
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 10:38:55 AM »
BBP-Pool is written by the same individual who wrote the GRC-Pool.  So any code he reused would be his to do so.

• sunk818

• April 24, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
    more
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:05:57 PM »
BBP-Pool is written by the same individual who wrote the GRC-Pool.  So any code he reused would be his to do so.

I was referring to the BiblePay code. Since BiblePay is a fork of DASH, and DASH is a fork of Bitcoin, having all the correct copyright attributions would not lock the GitHub repo due to DMCA. I've seen it twice now with two different projects. One was Sumokoin a fork of Monero. Their GitHub repo was locked for a few days.
BH6oxjLkyz3z8FYpvU3ZR7PTZ31Xt9DkXZ

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:29:10 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/sumokoin/comments/7tarwi/regarding_the_dmca_takedown_on_github/

SumoKoin had an issue with not correctly attributing copyright to Monero. Their github was taken down for a few days.

We could easily remove this issue by correct attribution to various altcoins.

Is BiblePay a fork of DASH? Are there any GridCoin components that need to be attributed? There was mention of bbppool being a fork of gridcoin pool.. so I thought there might be a connection.

Ok, so I read the issue, and I see that back then, they used to paste the Copyright info in the readme.md file (which is the front page of the github repo), and I see how Sumo made a small mistake in the copyright text which sort of makes it questionable (but impo, didn't really make it look like they were trying to take credit).  Besides its an opensource project.

Anyway, ours is in the COPYING file now (in the spirit of DASHs latest).

I have modified it to make sure Bitcoin, Dash, and BiblePay are all in order and this will go to testnet next.
Then to prod during the next mandatory release.

Thanks for pointing it out.