Read 5390 times

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
December 2017 IT expenses (payroll)
« on: December 20, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »
For the month of December I am attempting to recover IT expenses for web hosting, AWS integration, our wikipedia and some payroll.

The linux web hosting fee for one year for the non-wiki site (http://www.biblepay.org):
$140.58
http://pool.biblepay.org/SAN/Expenses/WebHostBiblepay2017.png

Next, the linux web hosting fee for one year for the wiki site (http://wiki.biblepay.org):
$63.83
http://pool.biblepay.org/SAN/Expenses/WebHostWiki2017.png

Next, the Zinc integration fee for October and November 2017 (did not receive the bill for December 2017 yet) - this allows us to integrate with the amazon storefront for in wallet purchases:
$200.00

http://pool.biblepay.org/SAN/Expenses/ZincOct2017.pdf
http://pool.biblepay.org/SAN/Expenses/ZincNov2017.pdf

Next I am only asking for 120 hours of payroll for doing the initial git push for biblepay at $40.00 per hour totaling $4800.00:
https://github.com/biblepay/biblepay
https://github.com/biblepay/biblepay/commits/master?after=db75cc7a1cfde21cf694dc882f731783f28a0ae7+34

(This is for programming time based on the commits checked in for the month of September 2017). 

TOTAL:  $5204  from the IT budget
    Or
867,333 BBP (@ .0006 per bbp)

Re: December 2017 IT expenses (payroll)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 04:22:22 PM »
The pool should be considered independent of development.  It's pretty vital to have a pool or two but this proposal is for the development of the coin.  That the Dev runs the only solid pool is unfortunate, but the income from the pool should be kept separate from the expenses of development.  I'd really be of the opinion once there were a few more pools out there, that the Dev not run one due to the appearance of a conflict of interest, but until there are multiple other pools, that's a mute point.

• togoshigekata

• September 01, 2017, 10:21:10 AM
    • USA
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
The main pool has integrated features: faucet, gospel links, orphan letter writing, proposal system
This is why I haven't really advertised the MinersOfMen pool since Id like people to use this main pool for those abilities, specially the orphan letter writing.
I think at some point these features could be moved out, but I like that it is all in one place, one stop shop. And that there is a mining reward for letter writing.
So I think payment for pool development work is definitely warranted, is definitely IT and definitely part of development.
I don't think Rob listed any pool work here though, I think his documents he linked are stored on the pool.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:19:11 PM »
I really think the main pool needs split.  One part would be just mining.  The other would be the coin's hub with things like letter writing, proposals, etc.  It would make sense to integrate that with this login data and host it as part of the main biblepay.org site.   This would allow for less appearance of a conflict of interest when items needed worked on that currently exist in the pool but aren't mining related.  I really think the letter writing, for instance, needs to be entirely funded from the P2P fund and not from pool revenue.

While I'm hijacking a thread, I would like to see letter writing be ultimately moved to being approved by the Masternode Network.  My thought is, every cycle, three or five MN are selected, either at random or via vote.  They get "delivered" the submitted letters once a week, and have one week to vote on them (individually).  If all three or five MN agree, then they all get a small reward (5 to 10 BBP per letter).  If the letter is approved unanimously, it gets 110% of the letter writing reward, if it's a split decision it gets the normal amount (or none if declined).  If a MN misses a voting week, they're replaced in the next week for the remainder of the cycle and ineligible to be selected again for an additional cycle.

• togoshigekata

• USA
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »
Sorry as well for hijacking the thread.

I forgot to add that I do agree with your conflict of interest concerns on the pool 616,
there has been a lot of FUD around the fact that Rob is running the main pool, which potentially scares some miners and investors, especially since there are some targeting BiblePay that have been amplifying this concern. (similar concern has come up recently about charity fund in the subreddit, sigh) [but I do think the reduced mining fee for writing letters gets a lot of miners writing letters who otherwise wouldnt write any letters]

I think the masternode letter writing is a neat idea, but I think it might be too small of a pond to just have masternodes writing letters (currently 84 masternodes), when there are potentially hundreds or thousands of others out there in the future that may be interested in writing letters (as well in the future there may be thousands of orphans to write to, even tens of thousands). Though I do understand more people more problems and there have been some already trying to game the current system. Hopefully a similar system that youve brought up could be applied to all users (though it is very hard to pinpoint anonymous users over the internet, as they can change IP addresses / email addresses, etc and keep attempting to game the system)

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
Actually Togo, I don't want the MN to write the letters (well they can), but rather to do the approval.  That way it's much harder to game but reduces the workload on the Dev.

• togoshigekata

• USA
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:41:47 AM »
Woops I misread, sorry!
I think same scaling issue could happen though, once there are thousands to tens of thousands of letters, will be hard for a small group of people to check them all. I still think its a good idea, just if we could somehow apply it to everyone where we identify programatically users who are good at checking. I see your point of reducing the workload on Rob since he is currently the final gatekeeper, but it looks like any sort of solution will also require some dev work.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
My thought was to keep the current system as the front end (seven any type users to approve), call this the Initial Approval.

Once it passes the current threshold, it would move to the Masternode Network where a randomly selected "board" would vote on Final Approval.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
The main pool has integrated features: faucet, gospel links, orphan letter writing, proposal system
This is why I haven't really advertised the MinersOfMen pool since Id like people to use this main pool for those abilities, specially the orphan letter writing.
I think at some point these features could be moved out, but I like that it is all in one place, one stop shop. And that there is a mining reward for letter writing.
So I think payment for pool development work is definitely warranted, is definitely IT and definitely part of development.
I don't think Rob listed any pool work here though, I think his documents he linked are stored on the pool.

Not sure where Klondike (Slovakia) got that idea- I never even posted expenses for the pool yet.

I only posted hours for the initial github push of the core client in September.

Klondike please click on links and read before spreading new FUD.