Read 16979 times

• CameroonONE

• January 15, 2018, 01:04:02 PM
    • Boston, Massachusetts
    more
BiblePay & CameroonONE
« on: January 17, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Hi Everyone.

My name is Todd and I am the director of a 501c3 registered charity organization called CameroonONE that sponsors orphaned children in the Republic of Cameroon. The children in our program have been transitioned to family care, which means that they have been removed from the villages' overcrowded and under-resourced orphanages and placed in the households of extended family members in their communities of birth. We then sponsor all education and health needs and help to strengthen the family unit so that they are able to provide for their own nieces and nephews.

Our charity is being endorsed by BiblePay and Rob and Jaap have reviewed our financials and are very supportive of our orphan-care approach and family-preservation practices. We look forward to our partnership with BiblePay and thank you to all of you for supporting the parentless children of this world through your transactions!

You can learn more about CameroonONE at:
https://www.cameroonone.org/projects
https://www.facebook.com/CameroonONE/
https://twitter.com/CameroonONE   

Mission
CameroonONE is the first organization in Cameroon placing orphaned children in the household of surviving relatives while ensuring that they receive an education and proper healthcare within a secure family environment in order to bring hope and opportunity to a large population of the country’s orphans.

Vision
To create a culture in which all orphaned children in Cameroon have the opportunity to grow as a member of a family and become productive citizens who will impact and lead their community into a better future.

• jaapgvk

• September 01, 2017, 08:02:57 PM
    • Netherlands
    more
Re: BiblePay & CameroonONE
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:46:21 PM »
I have reviewed the finances and legitimacy of CameroonOne together with my brother (who had a masters degree in international politics, and has a management position in a charitable organisation). I absolutely vouch for BiblePay to start teaming up with CameroonOne.

Although we currently have Compassion as our prime charitable cause, I think CameroonOne is a worthy supplement. I've been talking to Todd for a while now and his organisation is taking a route concerning orphans that is absolutely needed in the current situation in Cameroon. Orphanages are overcrowded and/or corrupt, and by placing orphans with surviving family members they not only solve the problem with the orphanages, but also give the children a chance to grow up in the most supportive surroundings.

CameroonOne is also interested in incoperating the workflow we have currently with Compassion. That means that we will be able to send en receive letters to the orphans that we sponsor, and this can possible take place via an API that can be implemented in our pool.

Rob has suggested (and I concur) that we start with the sponsorship of two orphans with CameroonOne as a 'trial', so we can find out together if we can make some good things happen :)

My suggestion would be to pay the premiums of these orphans for a year into the future (the costs of this are projected to be around 300 dollars per year per orphan), and see how it goes from there.

I hope that BiblePay and CameroonOne have a future together, and we can help eachother grow.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
How exciting to see another fellow smaller non-profit involved with BiblePay! It's so difficult to fundraise when you're a smaller organization, so I hope you will be able to have some orphans sponsored through this project.

A few questions I have are:

1. Is this a specific proposal for the sponsorship of a certain number of kids? If so, can you be specific as to how many kids you are requesting sponsorship for, how much per month, for how long, what the funds provide the children, etc? Amounts in BBP and $USD would be great.
2. Are you a Christian organization? I do not see any mission statement in line with Christianity on your website.
3. This is a question for the creators/voters: Does BBP require organizations to be Christian if they are being sponsored with BBP funds?

Thank you and blessings to your team and children in Cameroon!

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
3. This is a question for the creators/voters: Does BBP require organizations to be Christian if they are being sponsored with BBP funds?

Only my opinion but I would support both christians non-christians if they are both equally "good/efficient/etc." when it comes to helping those in distress. If the budget was limited and I had to chose between the two, then it would really depend on multiple factors and circumstances for me. (Although I can see how "BiblePay" maybe should prioritise christian charities).

I asked this question to BLOOM and I would like to ask the same question about CameroonONE:

Would it be possible have some numbers about CameroonONE (number of children currently sponsored, volunteers, money raised, etc?). I am trying to get an idea of the size of your organisation and its current impact.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »
Jaap did a lot of due diligence with CameroonOne, and I was very impressed with his summary about Cameroon.

From what I can see they are solid, efficient, and growing. 

1.  Cameroon, how many children do you actively sponsor? 
2.  What areas of the world are the children in?
3.  Does your organization promote Christian beliefs toward the children?

• CameroonONE

• Boston, Massachusetts
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »
Hi everyone.

1.  Cameroon, how many children do you actively sponsor?

At the moment we have 84 children in two tribes in NW Province, Cameroon, in the towns of Mankon and Belo. In addition, we are assisting some other Community-Based Organizations with their orphan-care approaches; this month in Liberia with families affected by the ebola crisis that left many children parentless.

2.  What areas of the world are the children in?

We operate in Central Africa. Cameroon does not receive the sort of INGO attention that other countries do, and the regions that we work in are the Anglophone provinces that are marginalized by the French-speaking government. This places our students at a double disadvantage that we work to counter-balance.

3.  Does your organization promote Christian beliefs toward the children?

Our students are all Christians and our organization definitely promotes Christian values. We want our students to be decent, compassionate, hard-working and honest. They all attend church and religious activities. That said, CameroonONE is not a political or religious charity and we would promote these values and unconditional help to children in need whoever they are. Our mission is consistent and in line with Biblical teaching and Christian traditions.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 10:17:51 AM by CameroonONE »

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:08:26 AM »
Okay, since it looks like the 'BLOOM proposal' will be included in the next superblock despite of the ongoing discussion on in what way and how much BBP should be spend in that charity, there is no more room for CameroonONE in the next superblock (if I'm right). So with both Compassion and BLOOM on our charity list, everything is spent.

So it looks like we should be prepping a proposal for the next superblock that is outlined in such a way that that sanctuaries will vote 'yes' for the next superblock, because it would be a real shame to lose this project!

We are both young and looking for a bright future, so I propose we bundle our powers and make this work!

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 07:47:01 AM »
Okay, since it looks like the 'BLOOM proposal' will be included in the next superblock despite of the ongoing discussion on in what way and how much BBP should be spend in that charity, there is no more room for CameroonONE in the next superblock (if I'm right). So with both Compassion and BLOOM on our charity list, everything is spent.

So it looks like we should be prepping a proposal for the next superblock that is outlined in such a way that that sanctuaries will vote 'yes' for the next superblock, because it would be a real shame to lose this project!

We are both young and looking for a bright future, so I propose we bundle our powers and make this work!

Also, I really like the integrity level of Cameroon and all the due digilence you put into it.

I think as long as we can ask Cameroon to create some BIOLinks for us (clickable URLs for children) we should highly recommend cameroon to create a proposal for this next superblock!  Why not give Cameroon 1 million starter bbp for 20 seed children?  Depending on pricing and how many months in advance we shoot for. 

Also, If we can release our major PODC release in March, our superblocks will contain more of a budget Jaap, the budget is tripling so we will have more room for funding for Cameroon.   

But I do believe we should stay close to 1 mil bbp, so as to ensure our relationship grows slow and strong then we can check for feedback to ensure all sides love our Cameroon implementation.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
Just to clarify, Jaap is going to receive the 1mil for this one and convert to BTC for Cameroon, or is someone else handling?
IE who converts this to $ for Cameroon, is Cameroon in $?

Also, is there a summary of what we will receive for 1 million bbp?  (IE child count, child area, ongoing monthly fees)?

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »
Just to clarify, Jaap is going to receive the 1mil for this one and convert to BTC for Cameroon, or is someone else handling?
IE who converts this to $ for Cameroon, is Cameroon in $?

Also, is there a summary of what we will receive for 1 million bbp?  (IE child count, child area, ongoing monthly fees)?

Yeah, sorry. Todd has written me a fantastic mail three days ago that clarifies all the points you ask about and more. The BBP will indeed go to me and I'll convert it to BTC for CameroonONE.

I was waiting for Todd to post it himself on the forum here (also because I asked him to maybe add some minor points). I actually wrote him a mail today to ask him to post his story here asap for clarification purposes concerning the proposed budget. Todd is working abroad at the moment, and very busy, but I'm gonna give him another day to post here, otherwise I will take the liberty to post his story for him.

• CameroonONE

• Boston, Massachusetts
    more
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
Hi Everyone.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to CameroonONE’s proposal last month. As previously discussed, CameroonONE is a 501c3 registered charity organization that sponsors orphaned children in the Republic of Cameroon. The children in our program have been transitioned to family care, which means that they have been removed from their villages' overcrowded and under-resourced orphanages and placed in the households of extended family members in their communities of birth. We then sponsor all education and health needs and help to strengthen the family unit so that they are able to provide for their own nieces and nephews. The basic needs for our children are about $300 per student per year.

Being able to partner with BiblePay would be very exciting for CameroonONE. As an organization, we are responsible for the children in our program and their host families. Our ongoing operations in the two communities that we serve are only possible because of the generosity of good-natured individuals and communities like BiblePay. Your contribution this year will do some real good in the region and we thank the BiblePay community for considering us as one of your beneficiaries!

By international laws and standards, orphaned children are supposed to be reunited with family members when applicable. If there are no family members capable of raising them, then they should be placed within willing homes within their community of birth. In the event that all these options are exhausted, then international adoption is a very welcome and necessary option. That said, these standards are routinely ignored or flouted around the world. CameroonONE’s mission is to promote these expectations of international law; we recognize the reasons why they initially became standards- to keep the family together and strengthen the ties of community, to maintain cultural traditions and a bond between the citizen and one’s heritage, and to protect villages from losing future generations and the benefits of their creativity and productivity. Orphanages serve an important purpose for the parentless children of this world, but they should be reserved for the worst cases- a space for those without other options. The gap that CameroonONE addresses is to relieve the overcrowded and underfunded orphanages of the children who do not belong in them, while simultaneously reuniting the family by placing children in the households of surviving family members and ensuring their educations and healthy lives and values. CameroonONE assumes the role of foster care in a region that does not have the systems in place to care for all of the parentless children and BiblePay's support will strengthen our operations in Mankon and Belo, Cameroon by helping to provide an education, health care, and caretaker support for the children in our program and their guardians.

CameroonONE has 84 children in our program. We have impacted their lives; we impact their host families (with an average family size of 6) by providing caretaker support and reuniting them with their nieces and nephews; we impact the communities’ orphanages by alleviating them of unnecessary cases and relaxing their resource strain (which creates a better life for those still in their care); we provide funding for the schools that would be otherwise unavailable and this impacts both faculty and students; our bee farming projects provide jobs for the community and better yields for neighboring farmers (as well as helping to battle the decline of global bee populations); and by vaccinating our students and teaching about health standards, we have impacted an unknown amount of people by preventing the spread of infection and disease.

A $4000 donation from BiblePay will provide funding for 14 of the children in our program for their educations, health needs, living expenses, and caretaker support for this year. This includes PTA fees to the schools, text and exercise books, school uniforms and shoes, and seeds and other material goods for the families.

Our charity is being endorsed by BiblePay and Rob and Jaap have reviewed our financials and are very supportive of our orphan-care approach and family-preservation practices. We will be able to introduce you to the students that you are sponsoring through email and work to create an API that will allow everyone to interact with them. We look forward to our partnership with BiblePay and thank you to all of you for your consideration and for supporting the parentless children of this world through your transactions!

Mission
CameroonONE is the first organization in Cameroon placing orphaned children in the household of surviving relatives while ensuring that they receive an education and proper healthcare within a secure family environment in order to bring hope and opportunity to a large population of the country’s orphans.

Vision
To create a culture in which all orphaned children in Cameroon have the opportunity to grow as a member of a family and become productive citizens who will impact and lead their community into a better future.

You can learn more about CameroonONE at:
https://www.cameroonone.org/projects
https://www.facebook.com/CameroonONE/
https://twitter.com/CameroonONE   

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 01:13:39 AM »
If sanctuaries want to vote in favor of this proposal, they can use the following command:

Code: [Select]
gobject vote-many 6ca3cdfbbd557946cb776871308797406eb1a942bd866b67b4cc906c2bfa2bea funding yes
(you can check the validity in the pool of course).

If the 4000 dollars can't be collected with the requested BBP, I will add a new proposal the next round to meet the requirements to sponsor 14 children for a whole year and start our collaboration with CameroonONE in a big way!

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »
Thanks Cameroon for the detailed response and thanks Jaap for handling the conversion and the due diligence.

Everything I see with Cameroon is solid.  I cant see any reason not to vote yes on this.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 07:56:38 AM »
@Rob: I'm sorry if I'm out of the loop, but are we having the recurring Compassion expense every month or not? If not, then this expense seems acceptable.

Otherwise, 1,000,000 BBP is a hefty amount for a start. Why couldn't we start a little slower for the first month, say sponsor 7 instead of 14 children or better yet sponsor the proposed 14 children, but for half a year? Then see how everything goes and if it's OK, repeat the process in the next budget.

Also, it's been said that $4,000 will cover the 14 children, but 1M BBP is around $2,950 at today's price.

By the way, thanks Jaap for all the work and communication, I think you should be compensated too.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 08:01:18 AM »
Rob has suggested (and I concur) that we start with the sponsorship of two orphans with CameroonOne as a 'trial', so we can find out together if we can make some good things happen :)

Now I see I forgot about this part of your post from more than a month ago, but this goes to show I was thinking the same thing. So what happened with this suggestion (and your concurrence)? :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:15:17 AM by inblue »