Bible Pay

Read 417493 times

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 PM
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
The protocol version is just a number. It can't really be enforced.

Yes, it can be enforced.  If I enabled my switch to reject blocks from prior versions, it would have been enforced.  We also could have enforced the block version in a hard fashion.

As far as the botnet definition goes, let me clarify it for you:
A botnet in Biblepay is a POW mining organization that is producing more than 51% of the hashpower on the network and refuses to upgrade the client in a timely manner.

Now there is no "confusion" about the terminology here.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
As you can see from you own quote of my post, I did say with the most work.

Not correct - you said in two places on the prior page the active chain is always the Longest Chain.

"Looks like somebody was "smart" and connected to an upgraded node from the "other chain". Since it's the same protocol but is/was/has the longest chain, the upgraded nodes now took all these blocks in or may be stuck I guess depending on your situation."

I'm clarifying its Not the longest chain.  Its the chain with the most chain-work.

Yes, it can be enforced.  If I enabled my switch to reject blocks from prior versions, it would have been enforced.  We also could have enforced the block version in a hard fashion.

As far as the botnet definition goes, let me clarify it for you:
A botnet in Biblepay is a POW mining organization that is producing more than 51% of the hashpower on the network and refuses to upgrade the client in a timely manner.

Now there is no "confusion" about the terminology here.

1) You're the only with that definition of what a botnet is so I think there is confusion. Just google what a "botnet" is I guess..?

2) The version number cannot be enforced as it is not a change of protocol but just changing a number in the code. You can easily just change the Biblepay client version you're advertising to be anything...

If you have a line of code saying only accept block version > 3....I can just advertise my block version > 3 and it will be accepted if there is no other checks. The number alone can't be enforced...

Hi all,

If I understand correctly - I can check on which chain I am with my Win miner with this:

Code: [Select]
15:55:10

getblockhash 33410

15:55:10

8de885ac26fed11683af444c59d1ed5f159a774a36088f473e7695df42abf76f

Is this the correct hash?
Thank you.

Best regards,
Simon

Not correct - you said in two places on the prior page the active chain is always the Longest Chain.

"Looks like somebody was "smart" and connected to an upgraded node from the "other chain". Since it's the same protocol but is/was/has the longest chain, the upgraded nodes now took all these blocks in or may be stuck I guess depending on your situation."

I'm clarifying its Not the longest chain.  Its the chain with the most chain-work.

Did you look at your quote of my own post lol. I said after that the chain with the most work (the one you quoted if you need me to refresh your memory).

When I wrote that post (the one you quoted just now) the longest chain was the one with the most work...that's where all the hashing power is.

• T-Mike

• February 06, 2018, 06:12:58 PM
    more
canopus - Today at 10:07 AM
HEALTH NODES
addnode "54.37.156.244" "add"
addnode "139.99.101.222" "add"
addnode "47.93.223.203" "add"
addnode "45.32.7.66" "add"
addnode "80.211.203.45" "add"
addnode "45.76.56.211" "add"
can you post it in testnetforum....for add

These nodes are on 33384 I believe, I didn't check them. Just reposting.

Question: If another chain wins, how do I switch over. How do I check which chain is winning?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:15:48 AM by T-Mike »

• jaapgvk

• September 01, 2017, 08:02:57 PM
    • Netherlands
    more
canopus - Today at 10:07 AM
HEALTH NODES
addnode "54.37.156.244" "add"
addnode "139.99.101.222" "add"
addnode "47.93.223.203" "add"
addnode "45.32.7.66" "add"
addnode "80.211.203.45" "add"
addnode "45.76.56.211" "add"
can you post it in testnetforum....for add

These nodes are on 33384 I believe, I didn't check them. Just reposting.

Question: If another chain wins, how do I switch over. How do I check which chain is winning?

Can someone confirm it is the 'right thing' to use these nodes and be on that chain?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:24:07 AM by jaapgvk »

I'm going to sleep and wish everyone the best while you all figure out that situation.

• T-Mike

more
I'm going to sleep and wish everyone the best while you all figure out that situation.

Should keep me awake throughout the day.

• jaapgvk

• September 01, 2017, 08:02:57 PM
    • Netherlands
    more
Should keep me awake throughout the day.

Haha! Me too. Been on the computer many hours in the past couple of days  :( ;D

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
1) You're the only with that definition of what a botnet is so I think there is confusion. Just google what a "botnet" is I guess..?

2) The version number cannot be enforced as it is not a change of protocol but just changing a number in the code. You can easily just change the Biblepay client version you're advertising to be anything...

If you have a line of code saying only accept block version > 3....I can just advertise my block version > 3 and it will be accepted if there is no other checks. The number alone can't be enforced...

There are a lot of things in certain niche businesses, such as Crypto, that differ from industry standard and run of the mill development.  This is called "domain knowledge".  If Im the leader of the group and hire 5 devs to work with me, and want to hold daily scrum meetings, and I tell you what a certain term means for our business, then its your responsibility to use it - so we can communicate in a more efficient way.  Its not your job to argue with the head of development about things, thats non productive and is a net negative - it also wastes everyones elses time, and is embarassing.

Next, I know its true that certain soft rules - such as a protocol version - when implemented in a way where another node will hang up and refuse to comunicate based on that version, is not a hard rule, and it can be circumvented by a hacker.  But apparently what you have a hard time grasping, is there are also hard rules in the client, that have been programmed by both Dash and Me in both of my communities, that do enforce soft rules.  For example, we have a piece of code in our biblepay version right now that adds up what percent of blocks were solved by prior versions in the last 100 in the chain, and it does take into account the protocol version.  I could have easily enabled that feature and allowed the chain to fork if *any* blocks were solved by a version below the greatest in the chain.  I didnt, because I felt at the time we would have a smoother transition to the cutover block by letting everyone play.  You need to understand every algorithm in the code before making misleading statements to our community.    I am still maintaining that anyone who deliberately compiles a fraudulent version and detracts from the prod experience is a dangerous and semi-untrustworthy individual, when we are all here trying to get past the block number without forks and as much integrity as possible.

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
Can someone confirm it is the 'right thing' to use these nodes and be on that chain?

Its useless.  Its more beneficial to rebuild your chain once we get past 33440.

The wallet picks its own addnodes and puts them in peers.dat, and only needs one addnode: the one compiled in.

• T-Mike

more
Is everyone's magnitude at zero or is it just me? (Been at zero for 12 hours or so.)

• Rob Andrews
  • Administrator

• Patmos, Island Of
    more
Is everyone's magnitude at zero or is it just me? (Been at zero for 12 hours or so.)
Yeah, thats normal until we create the first superblock - then the system assigns everyone a magnitude for the first time.

That reminds me, I need to see whats stopping us from creating a testvote in prod, let me check.

• Ichthus220

• December 11, 2017, 10:09:35 PM
    more
My wallet says 33360, my 1BBP transaction now has confirmations, my utxo show 0 and my stakebalance shows 0, my CPID now shows up in exec getboincinfo. Is all this correct? I change polpercentage in the dat file to 100.