Bible Pay

Read 14964 times

• jaapgvk

• September 01, 2017, 08:02:57 PM
    • Netherlands
    more
Re: Proposal idea: airdrop
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »
I've participated in a few air drops and I'm on earn.com -- Honestly, I haven't followed any of the altcoins I signed up for. App downloads, social media posts, telegram joins, etc. All of them, I did, then either left or deleted the app. The only incentive was the payout and nothing else. So, how many participants are like myself in the airdrop world? How much of the airdrop would just be wasted on people like myself?

Even Jesus had a small group of disciplines that help spread his message and even died for the Gospel. Even then, they did not understand even after his death and resurrection.  So, I feel making fishers of men is important than speaking to a large crowd where you do not make believers.

I don't know anything about the airdrop side just receiving... so I'm open to hearing your thoughts.

I absolutely see your point. The reason I had the idea for an airdrop is because I also participated in some airdrops myself also. And indeed the overwhelming majority was of the 'fire and forget' type, and I didn't  even read what they were about. Just a quick buck on the side. Retweet, fill in my ether-adres, and done.

I think that our airdrop is different form most, because to be able to receive the airdrop, you're practically already mining BiblePay. You need to have a BiblePay address (meaning you will most probably download a wallet), and you need to have RAC (meaning you don't just have to create a Rosetta@home account (and join our team) but also solved at least one task). That's a big hurdle for most.

I think that for most people this costs way to much time and effort (at least way more than retweet something, join a telegram group and fill in your ether-address). In my view, having an airdrop is about 'getting out there'. We get retweets and airdrop groups showing us on their websites, telegrams and twitters. Are there are bound to be people among there that are like you and me: they participate in airdrops but also think that BiblePay is actually something worthwhile.

In the end you receive some dollars worth of BBP and the only thing you have left to do is to associate your wallet with your Rosetta@home account, and you're done.

I don't want to give away any more than necessary. And I want to do a quality airdrop. Meaning that I want this airdrop to succeed in getting people on board that really see our value. Combining a tough airdrop proces with a nice reward I think has the ability to do these things.

I also don't need to spend the entire airdrop budget. If we do it ourselves, we can decide as a community how long we will do the airdrop and how much we want to spend :)

• sunk818
  • Global Moderator

• April 24, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
    more
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:58 PM »
I'm not sure if it is technically feasible, but giving BBP for people downloading mobile app could be a possibility. Is there a mechanism on the Android Play Store to verify someone downloaded an app and to give a one-time code to redeem BBP?
BH6oxjLkyz3z8FYpvU3ZR7PTZ31Xt9DkXZ

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 07:25:54 AM »
Okay, I’ve been doing some more research concerning the airdrop and have had some feedback on it. Basically, I think that the best approach is to do a high quality airdrop that takes a lot of effort. This is because I want to attract actual new users and not people who are just in it for the airdrop itself.

I would suggest the following approach: only new BiblePay PODC Researchers with a burned CPID in the blockchain get BBP. We will give these people a pretty high compensation (like 10.000 BBP).

So basically, if you participate in this airdrop, in the end you are already mining and receive enough BBP to start staking with a mediocre PC.

Other forms of airdrops just don’t seem worth it to me. I think that The BBP we spent on the airdrop is an investment in our future.

So basically, new Researchers need to go through a couple of steps:
-Register with BOINC, join team BiblePay, and start researching.
-Download wallet, register on pool.biblepay.org to get BBP from the faucet, and burn their CPID in the blockchain.
-Fill in the airdrop-form
-(Optional) share the airdrop on their social-channels.

Again, I’m just thinking out-loud concerning the airdrop 😊

I think it would be awesome to have the airdrop alongside the first round of advertising. I was thinking about doing a long-term airdrop. I can ask for BBP from the superblock and the airdrop turns to a ‘Sorry, come back next month’ when the funds run dry. But of course, that’s only if the airdrop proves to be a success.

• sunk818
  • Global Moderator

• April 24, 2018, 02:02:20 PM
    more
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
Have you considered the abuse potential? It wouldn't be hard to create VMs (Windows or Linux) and script your way to multiple 10k BBP payouts. At 0.002 x 10k = $20 USD?  That's a lot of motivation to cheat the system. Sorry to be negative here, but I've seen a lot of airdrops not give the result people wanted. Wasted advertising $$$ mostly if you actually follow through on the payout.  Would you have to screen for fraud manually or is there an automated/clever way to clean out fraud? Is having to upload your identification too much?  Or perhaps there's an API where you can tie in with a reputable exchange where the user is registered and authenticated to an acceptable level?
BH6oxjLkyz3z8FYpvU3ZR7PTZ31Xt9DkXZ

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 11:04:59 PM »
Have you considered the abuse potential? It wouldn't be hard to create VMs (Windows or Linux) and script your way to multiple 10k BBP payouts. At 0.002 x 10k = $20 USD?  That's a lot of motivation to cheat the system. Sorry to be negative here, but I've seen a lot of airdrops not give the result people wanted. Wasted advertising $$$ mostly if you actually follow through on the payout.  Would you have to screen for fraud manually or is there an automated/clever way to clean out fraud? Is having to upload your identification too much?  Or perhaps there's an API where you can tie in with a reputable exchange where the user is registered and authenticated to an acceptable level?

I like your feedback. I thought that I made it hard for people to cheat the system.

Do you think it's easy to script something that registers you on three websites using a unique email-address, downloads, installs, and sets-up two software-programs (including waiting time for the R@H task to solve and for the blockchain to sync correctly), burns your CPID into the blockchain, and fills in the google-form with all the necessary data? I have only little programming skills, so I don't know how someone would go about this.

The verification will be manual btw (also due to my lack of programming skills).

I'm not feeling comfortable doing a KYC, with all the risks involved. It would be nice to be able to do some blockchain identity verification. I know that some projects are working on that (like Civic), and it would be nice to be able to use something like that in the future.

I could also ask participants to join a special Telegram airdrop group, those accounts are linked to unique phone-numbers.

Anyway: thanks for the feedback :) I hope that we can have a quality airdrop that gives us new users.

My thought about doing the airdrop this way, was that participants would already be mining in the end. Of course they could sell, but why not keep on mining?

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 06:22:55 AM »
I've decided to go ahead and ask for preliminary funds for this. We can work out the exact details of the airdrop later on, but I feel that we're pretty far in the process.

My plan at the moment is:
Securing funds (750$ in ETH) to get exposure on airdropalert.com (and all of their social channels). I think that it is important to get exposure for the airdrop. Airdropalert.com is the largest entity listing these kind of things, and smaller entities are largely leaching off of them, so getting exposure on there I think means getting exposure along a wide spread of airdrop-listing entities.

I think that the feedback that LifeThruGrace gave is very valuable, and the last thing I would want to, is to throw away BBP. So it's probably best to include the need to subscribe to a special 'BiblePay-Airdrop' Telegram group. Telegram is linked to your telephone-number, so adding this will reduce the ability to game the system.

I'd rather not do this, because I would also like to appeal to crowds outside of the normal airdrop clique (who use Telegram in masses, because it's often an requisite for an airdrop), but maybe it's for the best.

I would like to request 1M BBP. Which is about 2000 dollars. And I want to use this money to get exposure and get a first 'batch' of airdroppers on board. We can then review the data and see if we want to prolong the airdrop (I can ask for budget each month).

Let's say that we can get 50 long-term Miners on board each month because of the airdrop. I think that would be very much worth it.

The beauty is that we can check the data and see what airdroppers do after receiving the airdrop (selling everything or continue to mine).

I think that the P2P budget is best suited for this (although it could also be PR).

If most people think that 10.000 BBP is too much, I'll gladly slash it in half :) I'm open for all feedback.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:54:16 AM by jaapgvk »

• vuli

• June 02, 2018, 02:28:10 PM
    more
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 10:56:06 AM »
I dont like this one.

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
I dont like this one.

Do you have any constructive feedback or alternative routes we/you could explore in terms of PR?

• togoshigekata

• September 01, 2017, 10:21:10 AM
    • USA
    more
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
You have my vote

On the amount, if there does end up being space issues or debate on that,
you could start out creating 2 proposals, one for each amount

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »
You have my vote

On the amount, if there does end up being space issues or debate on that,
you could start out creating 2 proposals, one for each amount

Smart :) Thanks.

Just a minor update: airdropalert is standing by to do some PR for the airdrop. But I'm going to wait until we have a general PR-roadmap (that's currently being worked on) before I set a starting-date.

• togoshigekata

• September 01, 2017, 10:21:10 AM
    • USA
    more
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 08:35:39 PM »
Jaap, I say jump on this as soon as possible, Im willing to front the BBP for this :)

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 11:26:18 AM »
Jaap, I say jump on this as soon as possible, Im willing to front the BBP for this :)

I already received 1M BBP for this :) But I'll probably have to sell half of it to pay for the PR-side of things. But it would be nice to have a 1M BBP airdrop in total.

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
Can't wait to see how this pans out.

I've seen anecdotal evidence of how successful airdrops are, but unfortunately, the only data I've seen has been very unofficial and very short term.   That said, the main need of the coin now is advertising and PR in my book, so hopefully we see some results.

My personal belief is using this funding for a PoDC pool (or expand the one in existence) would be more beneficial but that's why we test ideas in the real world!

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 08:01:27 AM »
I've halted the airdrop. There were very little new applicants lately, the budget was running low, and I'm going away for a few weeks very soon. These factors combined moved me to halt the airdrop.

You can find the spreadsheet I used during the airdrop here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xO06WmbA_YynGjoj0dz5P0aHqCBbtjwi4Q0g-veQP-o/edit?usp=sharing

We've airdropped 766k BBP directly from the budget. Technically Rob has also given away BBP from the pools faucet (see: https://forum.biblepay.org/index.php?topic=283.0 ) And Togo also fronted about 0.1 BTC - if I remember correctly - for the airdropalert.com listing.

So there is 234k BBP left over from the actual budget. I want to suggest sending it to Togo to he can recoup some of the BTC he fronted, as the plan as outlined in the proposal also included using BBP to pay for listing on airdropalert.com.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:03:30 AM by jaapgvk »