Bible Pay

Read 1012 times

• ludiegu

• October 17, 2017, 05:40:27 am
    more
How backup my wallet?
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:55:03 am »
Hello all, as in title, I was wondering how can I backup my wallet.

It is needed to copy the wallet.dat?

Also, what happens if I lose the wallet.dat? I will lose all my funds or it is possibile to recover the informations from the blockchain somehow?

Thanks for your attention!

Re: How backup my wallet?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:11:26 pm »
Find your wallet.dat file, copy it to a flash drive or any other secure place.  If your computer crashes, you'll always have the wallet.dat and can put it on a new machine.  It will have to resync a bit when you do, but you'll never lose your "key" to the wallet.  Speaking of keys, you should password protect your wallet and make sure to remember it!

• ludiegu

more
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:07:21 am »
Ok understoond thanks!
But what if I lose the wallet.dat? I wil lose the coins?
Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:05:07 am »
Yes you must have a copy of the wallet.dat somewhere.  So multiple back up copies are a good idea.  If you lose the wallet.dat file the coins will be in limbo but there will be no way to recreate the file.  One thing to remember is it doesn't matter if the wallet.dat file is "current", it can be 10 years old on a flash drive and you can download a new client, put the wallet.dat file into the machine and you'll be good.

• ludiegu

more
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:36:20 am »
Yes you must have a copy of the wallet.dat somewhere.  So multiple back up copies are a good idea.  If you lose the wallet.dat file the coins will be in limbo but there will be no way to recreate the file.  One thing to remember is it doesn't matter if the wallet.dat file is "current", it can be 10 years old on a flash drive and you can download a new client, put the wallet.dat file into the machine and you'll be good.

Thanks!

• Rob A.
  • Administrator

• June 05, 2017, 08:09:04 pm
    • Patmos, Island Of
    more
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:15:30 am »
In addition to this, whenever you reboot the node after more than 24 hours of being synced, we back your wallet.dat up into the "backups" folder. This is useful if you ever accidentally delete your wallet.dat.

Also, if you want a paper backup, you can do a 'dumpprivkey accountaddress' command from the RPC.