Bible Pay

Read 425 times

• Michael

• February 21, 2018, 12:33:55 pm
    more
Clarification needed on mined blocks
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:54 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I recently started mining and have noticed something I hope can clear up a bit of confusion in my mined.

I've noticed on the front page of the BiblePay client under recent transactions a few doves on the same day with the same strings underneath but differing amounts.

Is this normal or shouldn't they have different strings in brackets?

Thanks for the answers.

• 616westwarmoth

• September 01, 2017, 09:57:50 am
    more
Re: Clarification needed on mined blocks
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:59:01 pm »
The string is the wallet address they were mined to (generally that would be the primary address of the wallet).

The amounts differ because the block reward varies based on how long it takes to for a block to be solved.

• Michael

more
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 02:14:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply. A few more questions though.

I seem to be mining solo as the getmininginfo is showing false at "poolmining", so I am assuming from what you replied that I am mining into differing wallets as some of the strings in my recent transactions are totally different?

As I mentioned, I am totally new to this and I was initially mining in the pool2.biblepay.org and it was showing up in my miners list in the account when I logged in. Now my miner is absent from the online list and getmininginfo shows "POOL DOWN -REVERTING TO SOLO MINING". The Balance Available is showing the sum of all mined coins correctly, including those when I mined in the pool.

How do I consolidate all these solo wallet addresses into my wallet address that was created when I joined the pool in the beginning?

What is the best thing to do here with all these different wallets and is it safe to carry on mining?

I am a bit confused as this is my first mining endevour....

Should I rather repost this into the Support and Troubleshooting section?

I appreciate all the help here.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:19:25 pm by Michael »

• 616westwarmoth

• September 01, 2017, 09:57:50 am
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:11:50 am »
So first off, when the pool has trouble (or your machine has trouble connecting to the pool), it will revert to solo mode.  The pool had an issue the other day with the hosting service from what I understand that knocked it offline for a bit.

There's nothing wrong with multiple addresses, they can actually help keep things more organized.  If you're mining on one machine, and all addresses are in the same wallet, everything is fine.  When you chose to move coins out, the wallet will select enough from the addresses to send out, if you have enabled coin control, you can choose which coins get sent.  But in the end, it's OK.  If you're mining on multiple machines let me know but I don't want to over-explain things as you're new and I am prone to over-explaination.

• Michael

more
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 01:23:34 am »
I just shut down the biblepay client and downloaded the new version 1.0.9.4.

When I ran it, all my solo mined coins were wiped out.....and I had a few 100 thousand of them.

:o

And now that I have checked, I seem to be back in the pool.

Is there a way to recover my solo mined coins?

Do I just rebuild from the .dat files that are stored on the machine?

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:51:06 am by Michael »

• jaapgvk

• September 01, 2017, 08:02:57 pm
    • Netherlands
    more
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 02:13:59 am »
I just shut down the biblepay client and downloaded the new version 1.0.9.4.

When I ran it, all my solo mined coins were wiped out.....and I had a few 100 thousand of them.

:o

And now that I have checked, I seem to be back in the pool.

Is there a way to recover my solo mined coins?

Do I just rebuild from the .dat files that are stored on the machine?

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately for you, because you didn't update your wallet when a new mandatory version came out, at some time in the past you began mining on a fork (instead of the main chain).

When you downloaded the latest release, your wallet was able te recognize the right chain again, and because of that, all the blocks of the fork you were mining on were discarded.

I'm sorry, but you mined al that BBP on a fork, and they weren't 'real'.

This also explains why you couldn't connect to the pool (because it was on a different blockchain). An easy way to know you're not on a fork, is to check if the blockheight of the pool and of your wallet are the same.

• Michael

more
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 02:26:59 am »
Unfortunately for you, because you didn't update your wallet when a new mandatory version came out, at some time in the past you began mining on a fork (instead of the main chain).

When you downloaded the latest release, your wallet was able te recognize the right chain again, and because of that, all the blocks of the fork you were mining on were discarded.

I'm sorry, but you mined al that BBP on a fork, and they weren't 'real'.

This also explains why you couldn't connect to the pool (because it was on a different blockchain). An easy way to know you're not on a fork, is to check if the blockheight of the pool and of your wallet are the same.

Hmmm, I began mining on 1 Jan 2018. I shut down the client several times during the month and kept it updated (last one was 1.0.7.7) and I updated to 1.0.9.4 (which came out 3 days ago) today. And whatsmore is that the coins I mined had at least over a 100 confirmations each. This would mean that I had upgraded to the mandatory release somewhere along the lines.

Does this mean that solo mining is not even worth it and all your solo mined coins are worthless at the end even if you have the correct version of the client?

Maybe someone should put up a warning so others don't waste their time and electricity if they make the same mistake as I have.

Oh wait, I have just done that.   ???

Looking at the transactions list now it seems things went screwy around 15 Jan.

Can't the client be written in a way to check if there is a new version available and auto-upgrade when necessary?

Oh well, I guess I'll have to start all over again if I even decide to carry on with this.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

:-\
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:54:48 am by Michael »

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:38:25 am »

Does this mean that solo mining is not even worth it and all your solo mined coins are worthless at the end even if you have the correct version of the client?

Maybe someone should put up a warning so others don't waste their time and electricity if they make the same mistake as I have.

Yeah, sorry for your loss...

Solo mining chance-wise is worth just as much as pool mining in the long run (a little more even, because there aren't any pool-fees involved). If you update to the latest mandatory on time, all the block you mine solo are valid.

When there is a mandatory, most of the time there will be a line of code that in general says: "After block *, don't accept wallets that are on version *". So if your wallet version is too low, you will be kicked of the mainnet by the higher version wallets and start mining on a fork. For some implementations this is necessary because there is no backwards compatibility. If old wallets would also be allowed to keep on mining, it would break the coin.

When a new mandatory is out, there are announcements on reddit, bitcointalk and in the pool interface, and maybe in other places, but I don't really go there (discord etc).

But I agree that is would be a cool feature if the wallet could give a notification when a new mandatory is out. I'll ask Rob. Of maybe a mailing-list or something. Hmm. Maybe it's not a bad idea to have a mailinglist where people can subscribe to, so that we can send important updates when needed.

• jaapgvk

• Netherlands
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 09:42:08 am »
You could try some of the repair functions of the wallet (tools>wallet repair), but don't get your hopes up :,(